Lab Sheet: Rat (Rattus) Dissection
Diagrams and Key:
- The Student will be able to:
- Name the muscles and organs of the rat (Rattus).
- Explain the functions of the muscles and organs of the rat (Rattus).
- Muscles to pin and label: 1) deltoid, 2) trapezius, 3) latissimus dorsi, 4) biceps femoris, 5) semitendinosus, 6) gastrocnemius, 7) gluteus superficialis, 8) cutaneous trunk muscle, 9) triceps brachii, 10) platysma.
- Interal structures to pin and label: 1) salivary glands, 2) thymus, 3) larynx, 4) trachea, 5) left atrium, 6) right atrium, 7) right lung, 8) ribs, 9) left lung, 10) ventricle, 11) diaphragm, 12) liver, 13) stomach, 14) small intestine (jejunum), 15) spleen, 16) small intestine (ileum), 17) large intestine, 18) fat, 19) cecum, 20) bladder, 21) not shown - kidneys are below the intestines.
- You must pin only these structures with the above numbers for two photographs.
- The photographs will be graded. Any pin which cannot be clearly identified is wrong. Be sure you space your pins so that a SINGLE photo will clearly distinguish all of them.
- Be sure you have the rat drawn in your notebook, with all structures labeled.
- Review the online rat quiz for the lab practical.
- Write the functions of all rat parts in your notebook.
- The functions are available on the Vertebrate Organ Functions list.